The PLAY – Creative Gaming Festival is dedicated to providing a harassment-free social experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion or game preferences. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. This applies to our onsite program as well as to all online spaces, including our Discord Server and any comment sections.
How to contact the Code of Conduct team
If the behavior of someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome or if you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact us immediately. You have several options:
- Discord: Scroll down in the #❗-code-of-conduct channel and click on “Create ticket”. A private channel will open. Only the PLAY team and you will be able to read and write in this channel.
- Mail: Write an email with the subject “CoC:'' to welcome[@]playfestival.de.
- On Site: Contact any member of the staff. We value your attendance.
How we define Harassment
Harassment includes, but is not limited to
- verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, and religion.
- discriminatory display of sexual images in public spaces.
- deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing.
- unauthorized photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- sustained disruption of talks or games.
- pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- inappropriate physical contact.
- unwelcome sexual attention.
- deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead names’ or rejected names.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Protocol for dealing with personal reports
All reports are handled by our code of conduct team. When an incident is reported, the person reporting will be treated with kindness, respect, and care. Safety and consent is our priority.
When taking a personal report, our code of conduct team will work to find a space that is private and comfortable for you. You are welcome to have a friend or support person with you. We will document what happened, taking special care to ensure we understand what happened and what you need. You won’t be asked to confront anyone. We won’t tell anyone who you are. We will listen to you carefully. Advisory team members may be contacted for support, but details will be kept need-to-know and confidential. We will try to help file a report, access local support services, or otherwise assist you.
Actions we take on violations of our Code of Conduct
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the PLAY team may take any action they deem appropriate. Depending on the incident, this could include giving out a warning; exclude them from all PLAY – Creative Gaming Festival spaces or filing a legal report with the authorities.
This anti-harassment policy is based on the example policy from the geek feminism wiki, created by the ada initiative and other volunteers, and it was adjusted by the PLAY – Creative Gaming Festival.
PLAY21 – Creative Gaming Festival is an event produced by the Initiative Creative Gaming e. V. and jaf – Verein für medienpädagogische Praxis Hamburg e. V. in cooperation with spielbar.de, the platform of the Federal Agency for Civic Education/bpb on the Subject of Computer Games, Behörde für Schule und Berufsbildung Hamburg and JIZ – Jugendinformationszentrum Hamburg (BSB).
Thanks to our locations: SCHORSCH at IFZ and Europa Passage Hamburg
Supported by the BürgerStiftung Hamburg and gamecity:Hamburg
In cooperation with the FUNDUS THEATER
Sponsored by siebold/hamburg messebau GmbH